Manufacturing machine technology offers many benefits that can improve the efficiency of a production line. These are some of the benefits of manufacturing machine technology (MMT).
- Quality Enhancement – This is the most important benefit of manufacturing machine technology. Production software makes it possible to automate all aspects of production planning, scheduling, and the actual production process. Automating the production schedule and production line creation means an optimized schedule which reduces inefficiencies and other mishaps. Because humans are more susceptible to errors than programed machines, it is easy to see why so many production facilities choose to use automation and robots instead of having large numbers of workers.
- Cost Reduction – One of the main goals of manufacturing machine technology is to reduce costs. This is due to the reduction of waste and inefficiencies in production, which in turn saves money over the long-term.
- Reduced Production Time – The longer the production process takes, the higher it will cost. Manufacturing technologies improve the efficiency of production and make it easier to get products out. Machines automating the process means that production time can be drastically reduced between batches of products, ultimately increasing profits.
- Data-Driven Planning and Forecasting – With the advancements in AI, production planning and scheduling, you can match your supply chain to actual customer demand better. This will enable many manufacturers to produce only what they need to meet customer demand, and not waste because of poor forecasting.
Manufacturing Machine Technology (MMT): Disadvantages
There are many benefits to manufacturing machine technology. However, there are also some drawbacks. Manufacturing machine technology has the following disadvantages:
- Manufacturing machine technology can completely limit creativity. This is due to the high level of automation/machinery as well as the lack of employees in the manufacturing facility. While employees can brainstorm and solve a problem while working with others, machinery is optimized to perform as expected, regardless of any issues.
- High initial cost – Many manufacturers are attracted to the cost-reduction potential of automating their production lines. Although the benefits may help reduce costs and increase profits, they can also be costly upfront.
- Global Warming and Manufacturing – The manufacturing sector is a major contributor to global warming. Manufacturing machine technology (MMT), which means that more equipment and technology are incorporated into production facilities, has negative effects on the environment because of the many fuel sources like gasses and chemicals needed to run them. A more efficient production line can also increase your production, which in turn will lead to higher waste and other emissions.